Local Government Elections - Candidate Information
17 July 2021
The NSW Government has announced the Local Government Elections are postponed and will now be held on 4 December 2021.
In the lead up to the elections, here is an overview of useful resources for prospective councillors.
A series of online candidate information sessions will be conducted by the NSW Electoral Commission (NSWEC) between April to August 2021 and will cover the following topics:
- Election overview
- Election funding and disclosure
- Registration of candidates, groups, and third-party campaigners
- Electoral material (also known as how-to-vote material)
- Nomination process
- Early voting and election day voting
- Candidate workers and scrutineers
- Counting and results
Candidate Webinars - register for upcoming webinars or watch previous recordings here
Candidate Handbook - view the six steps to being a candidate and the candidate handbook here
The NSW Electoral Commission website elections.nsw.gov.au/lge21 has the following information:
- About these elections
- What are the key dates?
- Election bulletins
- Information for candidates and groups.
Further information can also be obtained from Council’s General Manager, Gary Woodman on 02 6847 6600, who can share answers to typically asked questions, including:
- Overview of Councillor's time and workload
- Council’s committee structure
- Local Government Act
- Code of Conduct
- Council processes.