Section 68 Approvals

What is a section 68 approval?

Section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 specifies a range of activities where approvals are required to be obtained from Council. These are often in addition, or ancillary to, standard development application (DA) requirements and are known as ‘section 68 approvals’. Council is the only authority that can issue section 68 approvals. In the interest of community health and safety, it is particularly important that commercial-allied activities have been issued with their required section 68 approval(s) prior to commencement of operations.

What types of activities generally require a section 68 approval? The following types of activities generally require approval under section 68:

Temporary structures & places of public entertainment

  • Install a manufactured home, moveable dwelling or associated structures.
Application - s68 approval Manufactured Home

Water supply, sewerage & stormwater work

  • Carry out water supply work.
  • Draw water from a Council water supply or a standpipe or selling water so drawn.
  • Install, alter, disconnect or remove a meter connected to a service pipe.
  • Carry out sewerage work.
  • Carry out stormwater drainage work.
  • Connect a private drain or sewer with a Council controlled public drain or sewer.
Application - s68 approval Water Supply, Sewerage and Stormwater Drainage work

Management of waste

  • For fee or reward, transport waste over or under a public place.
  • Put waste in a public place.
  • Put a waste storage container in a public place.
  • Dispose of waste into a Council sewer (trade waste).
  • Install, construct or alter a waste treatment device, or a human waste storage facility or drain connected to such a device.
  • Operate an on-site sewage system.
Application - s68 approval Management of Waste Septic Tank Fact Sheet Combined Notice of Work and Certificate of Compliance Form

Community Land

  • Engage in a trade or business.
  • Direct or procure a theatrical, musical or other entertainment for the public.
  • Construct a temporary enclosure for the purpose of entertainment.
  • Play a musical instrument or sing for fee or reward.
  • Set up, operate or use a loudspeaker or sound amplifying device.
  • Deliver a public address or hold a religious service or a public meeting.
Application - s68 approval Community Land 2018

Public Roads

  • Swing or hoist goods across or over any part of a public road by means of a lift, hoist or tackle over the footway.
  • Expose, or allow to be exposed (whether for sale or otherwise) any article in, on, or to overhang any part of the road or outside a shop window or doorway abutting the road, or to hang an article beneath an awning over the road.
Application - s68 approval Public Road

Other Activities

  • Operate a public car park.
  • Operate a caravan park or camping ground.
  • Operate a manufactured home estate.
  • Installing a domestic oil or solid fuel heating appliance, other than a portable appliance.
  • Installing or operating amusement devices prescribed by the regulations under the Local Government Act 1993 in premises.
  • Operating an undertaker’s business.
  • Operating a mortuary.
  • Use a standing vehicle or any article for the purpose of selling any article in a public place.
Application - s68 approval Other Activities